This small town perched at 900m altitude amidst the Nebrodi mountains, offers interesting naturalistic sites such as Bosco di Malabotta and Rocce dell’Argimosco. The village is overshadowed by the massive silhouette of a castle erected by Frederick II of Swabia on a former Arab fortification and successively destroyed by the souvereign himself, following the Guelph revolt of 1232. Frederick II of Aragon had it rebuilt in the early 14th century intending to make it a noble residence. Set on the westernmost plateau of the village, it is surrounded by a maze of narrow streets of Medieval date. Enclosed within the walls, is a courtyard with a chapel complete with traces of frescoes. It is well worth walking around the ramparts, although this may be awkward in parts, so as to better enjoy the surrounding landscape. Tourists are advised to hire four-wheeled Jeeps for movement inside the park.