Mirto is a town of just over 1,400 inhabitants in the province of Messina. It stands at 438m a.s.l. near the Fiumara Zappulla valley. It has several interesting religious buildings. Among them noteworty are the Chiesa di Santa Maria del Gesù – housing a 1500’s Madonna by Giuseppe Gagini –, the Chiesa di S. Alfio and the Chiesa di S. Nicolò, especially known for a 1500’s painting depicting the Enthroned Virgin and Child with Saint Nicholas and Saint Augustin.