Malvagna is a small city of the province of Messina, standing 710m high in a privileged setting dominating the Alcantara Valley. Being at a close distance to both the Nebrodi and Etna parks, many naturalistic sites can be found in its environs.
Malvagna has a total population of 1,400 inhabitants, most of whom are engaged in farming activities. It was founded in the 1700’s by the Prince Francesco Lanza. Sprung from the division of Lanza into two different villages, namely Malvagna and Moio Alcantara, it became an autonomous town in 1947, together with the latter.
Malvagna has a number of interesting cultural and historical spots, such as the Prince Palace, the remnants of a 1600’s Convent of Minor Friars and a small Byzantine church known as “Cuba”, dating from the 8th century.