Regalbuto stands at 520m a.s.l. It belongs to the Enna province and has a total population of about 8,200. The town has grown around an hamlet of Arab origin in the Monte district. Discoveries at the site include the old Saracino quarter.
With its medieval look and numerous attractive religious and secular buildings, Regalbuto draws many tourists every year.
First is the Chiesa Madre dedicated to San Basilio. Built on the site of a 1500’s building, it was completed in the second half of the 18th century. It has a Baroque façade with a pyramidal bell-tower. Inside, there is a single nave with a double greek-cross design. Above the transepts are two cupolas of different size. Here are a tall and precious altar dedicated to San Vito complete with a 1700’s statue of the saint and 1600’s paintings depicting the Station of the Cross.
The 1400’s Chiesa della Santissima Maria della Croce has a latin-cross plan divided into three naves with three major apses. It has been declared a National Monument.
Finally, there are the Chiesa di Maria Santissima delle Grazie, with its Baroque façade and ornamented with precious stuccoes, and the 1500’s Chiesa di Sant’Agostino in San Giovanni Battista preserving a fine painting portraying the Baptist Decollation.
Regalbuto also accomodates numerous aristocratic buildings such as the 1700’s Palazzo Citelli-Fascaro, Palazzo Falcone, the Liberty-style Palazzo Campagnini, the Palazzo Municipale and Palazzo Carchiolo, all situated in the old Christian Quarter.
In the city environs are sites of naturalistic interest like the Pozzillo district, one of the largest man-made lakes in all Europe, fed by the Salso river waters, that offers a range of opportunities, from the trout fishing to sporting activities.
Finally, are the Monte Mascari, 863m tall, north of the lake, and, still in the lake vicinity, the Salici Mount rising to 1,442m.