Enna’s roots go back to the Neolithic Age; evidence of the remote origins is provided by a collective tomb discovered at the Guardiola cave district. Over the centuries, its name successively changed to Henna, the Roman Castrum Hennae and Arab Qasar Yannah. It was conquered by the Greeks in the 7th century BC who would establish the worship of the goddess Ceres – his sanctuary still visible nearby the Lombardia castle. They brought about a urban development with the erection of many buildings and the city-walls. After a short occupation by the Syracusans, in 258 BC Enna was taken by the Romans. Agriculture soon flourished, Enna becoming a major grain producer, exported to the entire Island. The Arabs and then the Normans (1087) conquered the city, the latter modifying its road and defensive systems with the erection of two castles meant to protect against threats of attacks. A remarkable demographic growth was recorded in the following centuries.