All the photos of San Gregorio
Send a postcard from San Gregorio
Restaurants in San Gregorio
Web sites on San Gregorio
Travels in San Gregorio
Events in San Gregorio
Email of San Gregorio
The cinema schedule of the province of Catania
Where to stay in San Gregorio
Firms of San Gregorio
Books on San Gregorio
News on San Gregorio
San Gregorio di Catania is a city of about 10,000 located 321 m a.s.l. It is a major agricultural producer of cereals, cheese, walnuts, olives, almonds, honey, grape, wine and flowers. It was named after Pope San Gregorio, whose mother was of Sicilian origin.
The existence of ancient human settlements in the area is testified by grottos once inhabited. The Chiesa dell’Immacolata is a remnant of the Norman age. The earliest human settlement was one of the so-called “Hamlets of Catania”, and belonged in the 17th century to the noble Massas, the Dukes of Paternò. It then passed to Catania and Aci Castello governments. It became autonomous in 1856.
The Baroque Mother Church, the church of S. Filippo d’Argirò – built in 1505 by Lord Alvaro Paternò as his family chapel – and the Norman Church of the Immaculate Conception, restructured through the centuries, are the most impressive buildings in town.