All the photos of Adrano
Send a postcard from Adrano
Restaurants in Adrano
Websites on Adrano
Travels in Adrano
Events in Adrano
Email of Adrano
The cinema schedule of the province of Catania
Where to stay in Adrano
Firms of Adrano
Books on Adrano
News on Adrano
Adrano, in the province of Catania, is located in an important agricultural area between a flank of the Etna volcano and the Simeto river. It is a city of historical interest as well, as show many archaeological relics and remnants of ancient settlements discovered in its territory.
The Castle – The city has a rich cultural patrimony drawing thousands of visitors every year. Among these is the Castle, founded by the noble Norman Roger I in 1070. It consists of a rectangular building complete with barrel-vaulted rooms. It has an imposing and austere look and is divided into several floors; the Chapel of the Countess Adelasio, on the second floor, is remarkable.
It houses three museums. The Museo Etnoantropologico (ethno-anthropological museum) displays artefacts by local artisans. The Regional Archaeological Museum, arranged on three floors, traces the history of this area (and others in the Eastern Sicily) through a rich array of relics ranging in date from the Neolithic to the Byzantine domination. Particularly worth-mentioning at the second floor rooms, are a terracotta bust of the 5th century BC portraying a Sicilian Goddess recovered from the Primosole district, a clay female bust and a clay statue depicting Eros and Psyche of the same century. On the third floor is an art-gallery displaying paintings by famous artists such as Zoppo di Gangi, Filippo Paladino and Vito D’Anna, glass paintings, wood, alabaster and bronze sculptures, other works of contemporary artists.
The Mother Church – Near the Castle stands the Mother Church, dedicated to the Virgin of the Assumption, built in different epochs. The original structure dates back to the 16th century, the cupola to the 18th century, the campanile to the early 1900’s, although its construction was interrupted and resumed several times. The interior has a latin-cross plan and three naves ornamented with works of art such as a wooden polyptych depicting the Eternal life, the Holy Family, the Incredulity of Saint Thomas and the Saints. Several chapels inside the church are particularly appreciated by visitors, notably the Chapels of the Blessed Sacrament and of the Sacred Heart.
Chiesa di Santa Lucia – It is a major religious monument, largely rebuilt after the earthquake in 1693. It has an imposing front elevation framed by pilaster strips and Corinthian capitals. The elliptical interior contains several works of art like frescoes by Sozzi portraying the “Virgin and Saint Carlo Borromeo” and “The death of Saint Benedict”.
Minor Churches – Among them worth-mentioning are the Medieval Saint John the Evangelist’s, the 1500’s S. Antonio Abate’s and the Maria del Rosario’s churches.
City Surroundings – The surrounding area of Adrano is home to some interesting sites. The remnants of an antique city were discovered at the area of Mendolito. Relics and necropolises of the 8th-7th century BC were brought to light along with tholos tombs and other necropolises with Sikel inscriptions. Most of the relics are displayed at Siracusa’s and Adrano’s Archaeological Museums. A small bronze statue portraying a naked athlete and known as the “Ephebe of Adrano” dating from around 460 BC was discovered at the Polichello area.
The surroundings also host spots of both naturalistic and architectonic interest. The Simeto River’s area, stretching around Sicily’s longest river, offers a combination of falls, gorges, rapids and lava spews. Some constructions along the course of the river is worth-mentioning, such as the “Ponte dei Saraceni” (Saracens’ Bridge) first erected under the Roman, and ultimately built in the 14th century. This features four aches, two of which are ogival. Another, more recent structure is Biscari’s aqueduct bridge, built in the second half of the 18th century by the Prince of Biscari in order to irrigate the fields of his estate (of Aragona). It is composed of a bridge with several arches and of a second bridge with five ogival arches crossing the river.
Centrale Solare Eurelios (Eurelios Solar Plant) – After a period of experimentation, the plant, able to generate 1MW of Solar Power, was closed.
The earliest human settlements in to-day’s Adrano area date back to the Neolithic age, roughly 5,000-4000 years BC. These were mainly concentrated in the Simeto valley. Remains of that epoch is a tomb discovered at the Fontanazza area. Other tombs of Prehistoric origin were unearthed in its vicinity.
In the 5th century BC the area was taken by the Greek Syracusans led by the tyrant Dionysius, willing to expand their dominions. The settlement grew around a temple dedicated to the God of Fire Adranos, Hephaistos for the Greek.
The settlement has been discovered thanks to recent excavations that have brought to light a section of the outer walls, houses with rooms and courtyard, and necropolises scattered outside the city walls. The city was called “Adranon”, renowned for the ceramic output.
In 263 BC, it was taken by the Romans and many centuries later by the Arabians