SAN BIAGIO PLATANI
The town of San Biagio Platani is set at 416m a.s.l. in the province of Agrigento, on a plateau gently sloping towards the valleys of the Platani and Turvoli rivers. The city, totalling over 5,600 inhabitants, has an agricultural economy, with remarkable outputs of citrus fruits, almonds and grapes. The craft is equally developed, notably the iron and wood working.
The city is also renowned for the celebrations of Easterís week when, richly decorated with arches made from diverse materials, it witnesses the meeting between the Virgin Ladyís and the Risen Christís statues, which is the climax of the festival. A procession of people in rich costumes along a scheduled route is also worth-seeing. A set of religious events, conferences, exhibitions and concerts complete the schedule.
Giovanni Battista Berardi was the founder of San Biagio Platani, in 1635. The successive Lord of the town was Diego Ioppolo who was proclaimed Duke.
The city is laid out on a rectangular grid grown around the Viale delle Vittorie, the main street. Its major architectonic attractions are the Mother Church, dedicated to Saint Biagio, and the 1700ís Chiesa del Carmine.