The archaeological site of Eraclea Minoa is located in proximity to Capo Bianco, on the edge of a hill overlooking the sea. At its foot, is the beautiful beach of Capo Bianco, bordered by an impressive pine-wood.
Minoa – This was likely to be the earliest name of the settlement, where, according to legend, Minos, ruler of Crete, would have pursued and punished Dedalus for helping Ariadne and Theseus to find their way out of the Labyrinth. And here Minos would be killed by the Sican King Cocalus who had sheltered Theseus. Cocalus’ Reign developed along the banks of the Platani river, Camico being its capital city, that some scholars have identified as being Sant’Angelo Muxaro, others as Caltabellotta.
The city was supposedly founded in the 6th century BC by Greek colonists from Selinunte. Following Greek colonizers probably added the name Eraclea to the former Minoa. Taken by the Romans in the 3rd century BC, the city was involved in numerous wars and eventually abandoned.
The Ruins – The excavations, started in 1950, brought to light remains of dwellings made of rough bricks, some still retaining mosaic fragments, and of a theatre made of a particularly soft stone, hence in a poor condition. A little Antiquarium displays a collection of objects, mostly coming from the necropolis.
The Beach – From Eraclea return to the road SP 115 Sciacca-Agrigento and continue in direction of Agrigento. At the first exit follow signs to Montallegro-Bove Marina, then to Montallegro Marina. A road on the right side will show you the way to the sea.
It is a beautiful and long beach marked at one end by the tall white cliffs of the promontory and, to the south-west, by a large pine-grove.