COMITINI

 

The small city of Comitini, 350m asl and some 1200 inhabitants, is located in the province of Agrigento. Founded in the early 1600s by Gastone Bellacera, it saw periods of alternate fortune in the following centuries; its political decline was especially associated with the rise of the neighboring Aragona. An economic recovery was recorded in the 19th century thanks to the flourishing mining industry.

Comitini offers several attractions such as the 1600ís Palazzo Bellacera, the Palazzo Vella and the 1700ís Municipal Palace; among the most interesting religious buildings are the 1600ís Mother Church, dedicated to San Giacomo Maggiore, and the Church of the Virgin.