The small city of Cianciana, counting some 5,200 inhabitants, stands 390m asl near the Calvario mount, in the province of Agrigento. It was founded in 1640 thanks to a special permission granted to Sigismondo Ioppolo. Its former name was S. Antonio di Cianciana. Its successive rulers were the Bonannos, who held it as far as the abolishment of Feudalism.
The city has several fine noble palazzi, such as the 1600ís Palazzo Ioppolo, the Palazzo Cinquemani and the Neoclassic Palazzo Micheli. Among its churches, a special mention goes to the 1600ís Mother Church of the Holy Trinity, the Church of the Purgatory and that of S. Antonino.